Our top predictions for online marketing in 2019
Happy New Year! We predict that online usage will continue to grow rapidly in 2019 – no surprises there! Here are some additional trends we think will pick up even more this year. Let us know what you think in the comments!
- Full screen, bold imagery will become far more common, with additional navigation following mobile trends – hidden until rollovers
- Ecommerce sites that want to beat the competition will need high quality 360 degree product imagery or product videos. Video has been shown to increase conversions by as much as 300%
- Promotional, brand videos will become standard for the larger online players to create a wow factor that will help them build brand loyalty by creating a more emotional experience for the consumer – online video agencies are set to do very well
- Mobile shopping is set to continue its onward march – it’s essential that you have a responsive website or you will lose out to the competition. In 2018, you could just about get away with not having a mobile-friendly website. In 2019, you simply can’t.
- Continuing the trend for mobile-friendly sites, we expect to see more scrolling and parallax websites, with less need for customers to click to get key information
- For the more cutting edge businesses, audio and even video customer / concierge services will help satisfy the need to create a more human experince – the closer people get to a traditional retail experience, the more likely they are to buy
- Search engines will continue the shift towards listing the most updated web pages, as opposed to those with links, meaning you will reap the rewards of updating your website frequently, by adding new products or articles
- Search will continue to lose ground to influencers and social media as a driver of online sales as a result of brands upping their content game and social media efforts – building your social audience and not turning people off with spammy content is key to benefit from this
- Interactive services will explode – Amazon is really ahead here with profiles for mobile, Fire and Kindle that allow customers to store information and play audio / video across multiple platforms. Conversely, privacy will become more of an issue as consumers become more aware of unsolicited profiling – advertisers need to find a way to seem less “creepy”
- In an attempt to regain control of the news narrative, we expect to see major social networks and the mainstream media increase censorship. Similarly, while everyone has seemingly got involved in politics, it is wise for businesses to tread a careful line as those that are considered too partisan by either side could lose large audiences forever. If you are confident of the political profile of your audience, that might not be an issue, but don’t take it for granted.
To summarise, the sites that will do well online in 2019 are those that seek to inspire their customers and make the effort to do so with great content. You’ll need to make your website mobile-friendly or risk losing business.
Those that use negativity or are too political, are taking a big risk in alienating a large section of the population who will be motivated to punish them in return. This is particularly true for brands targeting older generations.
Here’s to a happy, prosperous and peaceful 2019!